Green House and Canada
Although there are so many difficulties during this pandemic, Canadians haven’t had to face any systemic food supply shortages.
Although there were many challenges during pandemic, but Canadians never faced lack of food at the grocery store. This is why? Because the combined dedication of farmers, agri-food employees, food processors, retailers, truck drivers and many others makes the result of winning the battle against Covid 19 crisis.
Research in 2020 says that 87 percent Canadian believes on their food chain system about the availability & healthy food supply by the Market chain system.
Canada has one of the strongest greenhouse production sectors in the world. Ontario has 220 farmers; they are growing food on over 3,300 acres. In the volume quantity it is over 476,000 tones of produce that feeds Canada.
13,000 people currently employed by Ontario’s greenhouses. The defense by Canada during pandemic due o technologies improve, greenhouses with more efficient, improving their energy and water usage. The majority of these Greenhouses utilize water recycling systems and solar power.
Fully compostable pulp melded trays and 100 percent compostable cucumber wraps are some of the changes that are already being utilized.
Farming Regions of Canada
- Most crops are produced in Canadian provinces are: Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba).
- Most of the cattle meat comes from the province of Alberta and Saskatchewan.
- Saskatchewan is famous for wheat, lentils and canola production.
- Most pig farms are found in Manitoba.
- For most of poultry farms record is to Ontario.
- The farmers of British Columbia are famous to produce fruits, vegetables, aquaculture products, eggs and poultry meat. They are also champion to produce grape.
Why Canada face Labour Shortage
- Many Canadians do not like to involve in farming job. Moreover, this farming jobs are also seasonal. They basically want year-round work.
- Farm works are too hard to avoid most of the people.
- Farms are located in remote area and far away from town or populated areas where many do not want to live.
- A record on 2018 almost 55,000 temporary foreign workers were employed in Canadian agriculture.
Natural obstacle to farming
- Heat, drought and disease.
- Another natural hazard is flooding.
- Too much cold weather is a big challenge sometimes.
- Impact on climate change is an issue also.
What are the advantages of greenhouses in Canada?
- Greenhouses give producers the chance to create favorable environment.
- Greenhouses also protect crops from a host of pests and diseases, extreme weather conditions and outdoor pollution such as pesticide drift.
- Canada’s greenhouse vegetable growers can grow produce throughout the winter.
Dr. Rumman Shafi Quaderi,PhD.